Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church seeks to be a community that both glorifies and enjoys God in all that we do. Together we are pursuing authentic worship of Christ, a growing reliance upon the gospel of grace, deep connection with one another, and faithful service to the whole of Williamsburg and the World.
Brief Synopsis of Our Beliefs:
1. The Bible is the inspired Word of God and teaches us the truth about God, ourselves and our world.
2. There is one eternal, perfect God who exists in three persons: the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All three persons of the Trinity take part in our lives and are to be loved and worshiped.
3. Man was created sinless, but fell from that perfection when Adam chose to disobey God. Because Adam represented all humanity, and because we ourselves disobey and choose to seek independence from God (the root of all sin), we are sinners in need of God’s mercy.
4. Rather than leaving us to experience the just penalty of our sin, God chose, out of the depths of His love and mercy, to bring His children back into relationship with Him. The Father accomplished this salvation by sending Jesus to live a perfect life, and then die as a substitute for us, bearing the penalty for our sin on the cross. The Holy Spirit works in our hearts to show us our need for Christ, changes us to give us faith to believe in Him, to enable us to do good works, and to assure us of God’s love.
5. We are forgiven and brought back into relationship with God onlythrough faith in what Christ did for us through His life and death and resurrection.
6. Because our salvation is God’s work and not ours, God will keep ussecure in His love to the end.
7. God has saved us in order that we might enjoy Him and live for His glory. God desires that we live holy and obedient lives, not to earn His favor, but rather to show Him our love and gratitude.
8. At death, the Christian’s soul immediately passes into the presence of God. Heaven is where the believer in Christ will forever experience the beauty and glory of God. Hell is the place where those who die without Christ live eternally apart from God and any trace of His goodness.
9. Jesus Christ will return to earth at a future time when He is not expected. He will bring history to a close and usher in the eternal plan of God.