Grace Covenant is excited to partner, once again, with Habitat for Humanity. During the month of October, and likely into November, Habitat will be holding a Faith Build here in Williamsburg. Faith Builds are an opportunity for Habitat and faith-based communities to partner together to build a home for a local family.
Families for whom Habitat partners build homes are selected through a thorough vetting process; and upon selection are required to put in at least 300 hours of “sweat equity” by participating in the building of their own and other families’ homes.
The family for whom we will be partnering to build is the Newby Family. The Newby’s have been very active in the Williamsburg community. While Mr. Newby is retired, wife Jennifer has been a stalwart employee at one of the most recognizable buildings in the Colonial Williamsburg area. Jennifer’s “put others first” mentality is on display wherever she goes, and it permeates through the Newby Family.
In their new home, the Newby Family wishes to continue their family traditions that have kept them a tight-knit group during the past and hope to make new long-lasting memories in their new home.
We are grateful to be able to partner with and sereve them!
There are a variety of ways we can serve the Newby’s:
1) Praying for the family. Make a note to yourself, and pray for this family as they transition into their new home.
2) Build a picnic table or a bench for the family to enjoy for years to come. You can do this on your own time in your own space.
3) Help make a welcome home basket to be given at the ribbon cutting.
4) Donate to the build, click on the following link: Peninsula Habitat Faith Build. Donors need to designate gifts to ‘Faith Build Williamsburg’ and indicate donations are being made on behalf of GCPC. Grace Covenant Deacons plan to match gifts of GCPC donors from the Mercy Fund, so your gift is actually doubled! These gifts will go toward paying the cost of the build and toward “house warming” gifts to help the family get settled.
5) Participate in the build! No skills are necessary! (Though skilled workers are very much appreciated.) You can help build. Grace Covenant folks can choose from the following dates/times:
- 2 slots on Wednesday, October 14
- 3 slots Friday, October 16
- 2 slots Wednesday, October 21
- There will also likely be additional opportunities to serve in November. We will make those dates known as Habitat makes them known to us.
Please contact, Mimi Mitchell, Faith Engagement Director at email@example.com if you have any questions.
**NOTE: Volunteers for construction must be 16 years of age and over. Please contact Habitat if you would like to create an opportunity for younger volunteers. (There are also non-construction volunteer opportunities. Prayer on the site, bringing lunch, and writing blessings on the studs of the home all count as volunteering!)
6) OTHER – You might take pictures of the build and make a keepsake album for the family. Or you – perhaps with your small group, or with a group of friends, make and provide a meal for a work crew shift. If you are interested in helping in any of these ways, please contact Jennifer Allen.
119 Forest Heights Road Williamsburg, VA. (Near Williamsburg Outlets)
Habitat for Humanity Peninsula and Greater Williamsburg’s first concern is the health and wellness of our volunteers, supporters, donors, homeowners and staff. To help us care for one another, Habitat has updated the safety guidelines and recommend all volunteers adhere to Habitat’s safety precautions. This includes NOT volunteering if you experienced symptoms that could be related to COVID-19 in the last 14 days (i.e. cough, fever, or any respiratory illness), been near someone who is sick or if you or anyone in your household have been in close contact with anyone who is confirmed to have COVID-19, traveled to any foreign country or traveled by cruise or have been in contact with someone who has traveled, in the last 14 days. In addition, masks must be worn on site!
Habitat will only accept volunteers on any site if the volunteer has registered for the opportunity on the volunteer website. More information can be found at www.faithbuilds.habitatpgw.volunteerhub.com when you register.
LIABILITY WAIVERS: Do not forget your volunteer liability waiver!! Liability waivers are necessary every 12 months. Waivers can now be signed online when you register!! Waivers for volunteers ages 16 and 17 must be printed, signed by a parent and brought to the construction site. Please note that waivers have been updated with new language regarding Covid-19. Visit www.habitatpgw.org/liability-waivers to download the waiver of liability.
For more information on the Faith Build in Williamsburg, please visit www.habitatpgw.org/building-on-faith.html.