School closures add another level of complexity to working from home. Here are some parent-tested tips for remote work when you have children at home.
- Negotiate parenting responsibilities with your spouse. Clarity is a marriage saver!
- Plan the day in 30-minute increments. Variety equals focus.
- Enlist kids in doing more chores. Now that’s a Double Win!
- Choose a project a day. Imagination is the greatest toy.
- Post the schedule each morning. That heads off many questions.
- Connect before doing deep work. A few minutes of focused time can free you to focus.
- Take advantage of downtime. When teenagers sleep, you focus.
- Signal when you’re working. A Post-It, a closed door, or “Mommy’s going to work now,” whatever works.
- Keep up your shutdown ritual. You need to decompress, and they need to have you “home” from work.
You can do this!